The Low Down

The human body is a metabolic marvel comprised of dozens of little systems connecting to create one complex system. Food is the fuel, the input, for the systems. Our metabolic machinery evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to function optimally on select fuels. These fuels were the original, Primal foods of the human organism. Over these hundreds of thousands of years our Big Game Hunting, small prey capturing, scavenging, foraging, gathering, opportunistic ancestors accumulated experience and wisdom about nourishing themselves. The learned to preserve and predigest foods to maximize the quality of their metabolic fuel. Eventually they learned to cook foods without destroying the important nourishing properties of the food, and then they learned to heal the human body with food. Only recently in the human evolutionary experience, have we abandoned all these hundreds of thousands of years of accumulated epicurean genius. Now we fuel our marvelous, complex metabolic machinery with crap invented to create profits for agribusiness. We have become dumb eaters. As we regain our eating intelligence it doesn't make sense to move back to the savannah and put out our fires or climb into our cave and pretend there is a glacier next door. It makes sense to fuel our bodies with all the primal human foodstuffs, prepared and preserved with accumulated ancestral wisdom and served up for the undeniable desires of the human taste buds. Primal, paleolithic food choices, handled according to ancient food ways resulting in outrageously good food.
PRIMAL. SMART. DELECTABLE.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Part II “The Ghost of Cooking Past”

Heirloom baby ruby lettuce ($0.79), pumpkin seeds, steamed beets in fresh squeezed clementine juice w/ olive oil and sea salt

I was in high school before I realized that some people love cooking. I mean I was a TEENAGER before I knew that some people considered cooking an enjoyable artistic, creative endeavor. I thought cooking was something that resulted in swearing, crashing pots, and standoffs between parents and kids at the dinner table. I love my mother and she nourished me very well and I am eternally appreciative, but it was absolutely joyless. Except for chocolate cakes. Delicious. Here is my story of realizing that cooking could be an art form or hobby:

I was a town kid at a very expensive boarding school. My Dad subjected himself to a teaching position that absolutely did not suit him so I could get the best education New Hampshire could provide me. I was a righteous kid and at least graduated Valedictorian. Goody two shoes? Let’s call it “late bloomer”.

Anyway, each year we had “Project Period”. “Project Period” was something that made my prep school stand out as innovative and creative. You could spend 1-3wks doing all sorts of interesting and exotic activities like going to Machu Pichu, rafting the Colorado River, seeing Paris or going on Safari in Kenya. If you happened to be raised by parents who loved having you around, but didn’t have fat wads of cash, you got to choose from things like horseback riding at a local farm, visiting colleges or learning how to cook. You see how it was? Anyway, one year my very best friend Amanda and I signed up to stay in town and cook. You can imagine us just in knots trying to decide “should we go sailing in the Caribbean or stay in town and cook”? Right on. Amanda is the most creative person I know. She is an awesome artist and grew up one of two girls living with her single mother and her artist grandmother. So here we are in a cooking project spear headed by our English teacher, Chris Noll. Son of the Pittsburg Steelers coach Chuck Noll. Chris had quite a following among the debutantes, so there were a bunch of us, some of whom might otherwise have been in more exotic locations. I had never seen a man approach cooking as a genuine desireable activity, except my grandfather who cooked as an extension of his hunting and fishing prowess. I mean, when it was my Dad’s turn to cook he threw together a mean meatloaf, but we begged him not to tell us what was in it. Chris taught us how to use a Wok and create proper Chinese stir frys. When it came to baking day, for some reason, Chris took pity on me and Amanda. Since we both had been baking sh** for years, he decided to teach the junior yacht club how to sweet talk yeast and he let me and Amanda bake our own bread in his apartment kitchen. He said something like “Cooking should be really enjoyable. Glass of good wine and good music. Well, you can’t have wine, but you can use my stereo.” That just shattered my whole image of cooking. “Enjoyable? Music? Wine?” Apparently there is “cooking” and then there is “Cooking”!!

In case you are wondering, the next year for “Project Period” I visited colleges.

Anyway-I’m telling this story for you: My Brothers and Sisters in Charge of Nourishment. Meet your Chris Noll. Turn up your stereo. Find some wine. Give your kid a cookbook and let him pick out a pie with Cherimoyas. Substitute frozen strawberries from Costco. Attitude adjustment.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen: It occurs to me that you might enjoy an article I wrote a number of years ago for the Journal of Mythic Arts -- "In Praise of the Cook." It is a fun look at the transformative powers of the famous and infamous cooks of fairy tales and myth. And its also a bit about my father -- a tremendous cook. I spent many hours as an observer (and later a consumer!) of that cooking and I think we communed best in the kitchen in the midst of some huge, complicated preparation.

    You can find the article here:
    http://www.endicott-studio.com/crossroads/crCooks.html

    ReplyDelete