The Low Down

The human body is a metabolic marvel comprised of dozens of little systems connecting to create one complex system. Food is the fuel, the input, for the systems. Our metabolic machinery evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to function optimally on select fuels. These fuels were the original, Primal foods of the human organism. Over these hundreds of thousands of years our Big Game Hunting, small prey capturing, scavenging, foraging, gathering, opportunistic ancestors accumulated experience and wisdom about nourishing themselves. The learned to preserve and predigest foods to maximize the quality of their metabolic fuel. Eventually they learned to cook foods without destroying the important nourishing properties of the food, and then they learned to heal the human body with food. Only recently in the human evolutionary experience, have we abandoned all these hundreds of thousands of years of accumulated epicurean genius. Now we fuel our marvelous, complex metabolic machinery with crap invented to create profits for agribusiness. We have become dumb eaters. As we regain our eating intelligence it doesn't make sense to move back to the savannah and put out our fires or climb into our cave and pretend there is a glacier next door. It makes sense to fuel our bodies with all the primal human foodstuffs, prepared and preserved with accumulated ancestral wisdom and served up for the undeniable desires of the human taste buds. Primal, paleolithic food choices, handled according to ancient food ways resulting in outrageously good food.
PRIMAL. SMART. DELECTABLE.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Pie and Sauce



THE PIE
For the crust:
You really need a food processor. I do mine in the Vita Mix, but it doesn't appreciate it.
in the evening soak 2c of raw almonds in plenty of fresh water. In the morning, drain them and get rid of any skins that are easily removed. Process them with about 6 dates, pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg and a spoonful of vanilla. It should be moist and crumbly. Mix in by hand, 1/2c of almond meal and press it into a pie plate. These nut-based crusts are very rich and heavy so press it in as absolutely thinly as possible.
For the filling:
In a sauce pan cook up 2 bags of frozen raspberries. You may need to add a tiny bit of water. When they are nice and hot I add 4T of Dr. Bernard Jensen's gelatin. I add this anytime to anything I can. Put it all in the blender and puree.
We sliced up about 2lbs of little apples, just removing the core and stem, but not peeling them. Slice them thinly so that they will cook more easily. Fill up your pie crust with them. Pour the raspberry/gelatin puree over the apples.
Bake for 45min at 325. You might need to cover it with foil at the end so that you don't burn the top, but the apples get nice and soft.
This pie brought up some interesting thoughts for me. The apples we used weren't very sweet and hence the pie wasn't very sweet. After the first couple bites I found myself thinking, "I should've added a little raw honey or maple syrup". Then I realized how crazy it is that my taste buds no longer find apples and raspberries sweet enough! I also observed that the pie actually felt like a positive component of the meal instead of this detrimental ending that I would need to prevent myself from having more of 2 hours later. My suggestion is that if eating Paleo is new to you and your family and you are trying to get comfortable with it and feel happy about it, check the sweetness of your apples. If they are a little bit tart you might add some honey to the raspberry puree.
The pie was also good with coconut milk poured over it!

Sauce:
I used the other bag of apples we had to make a sauce. These apples were pretty ugly, wrinkled and lumpy. No way I was getting my kids to eat them as is. I have made gallons of apple sauce the proper way in my day using an ancient food mill and then canning it. Too busy now, so all I did was take out the core and stem and throw them in a big pot. I added a bag of frozen strawberries and some cinnamon. I also had to add a little water because the apples were pretty dry. I cooked everything until the apples were pretty soft and then poured the whole thing into the blender, added my 4T of gelatin, and blended it up. It was pretty and pink and I sprinkled on some dried coconut and some chopped macadamia nuts. Good warm or cold.

3 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog and have tried almost all of the recipes :). Where do you get the gelatin???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to order it. Check the link I gave or try www.4radianthealth.com. It is not expensive at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yah I saw the link after I posted the comment :) will order some- looking forward to some yummy stuff I can make with it- DO you make any savory gelatins?

    ReplyDelete