The Low Down

The human body is a metabolic marvel comprised of dozens of little systems connecting to create one complex system. Food is the fuel, the input, for the systems. Our metabolic machinery evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to function optimally on select fuels. These fuels were the original, Primal foods of the human organism. Over these hundreds of thousands of years our Big Game Hunting, small prey capturing, scavenging, foraging, gathering, opportunistic ancestors accumulated experience and wisdom about nourishing themselves. The learned to preserve and predigest foods to maximize the quality of their metabolic fuel. Eventually they learned to cook foods without destroying the important nourishing properties of the food, and then they learned to heal the human body with food. Only recently in the human evolutionary experience, have we abandoned all these hundreds of thousands of years of accumulated epicurean genius. Now we fuel our marvelous, complex metabolic machinery with crap invented to create profits for agribusiness. We have become dumb eaters. As we regain our eating intelligence it doesn't make sense to move back to the savannah and put out our fires or climb into our cave and pretend there is a glacier next door. It makes sense to fuel our bodies with all the primal human foodstuffs, prepared and preserved with accumulated ancestral wisdom and served up for the undeniable desires of the human taste buds. Primal, paleolithic food choices, handled according to ancient food ways resulting in outrageously good food.
PRIMAL. SMART. DELECTABLE.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Defeated...What to do about fat kids?

Saturday I took my son to a make up kung fu class. He did very well, but I lost. Nothing to do with kung fu. We arrived in time to watch the tail end of the girl's class which made my heart break and my blood boil and I couldn't figure out a single action to take. All the girls in the class are under the age of 12. Three of them were really fat. Get it straight. These were not kids having a chubby phase before they stretch out or kids just going through a little pudginess, or even kids just a little on the heavy side. These girls were really fat. My guess is TWICE the amount they should weigh. Anther small handful were probably technically overweight as well. It was the belt test for the girls, so one of the very heavy girls was having to respond to a stranger "attack" from the kindly, supportive, twinkly eyed kung fu teacher. In under 5 min, in a space of 12' x12', she was wheezing, red faced, panicking and crying. I heard someone ask her Mom if she had asthma. Her Mom said she did not, she was just nervous. This situation brought up SO MANY conflicting feelings for me. On the one hand, how wonderful that these parents are paying for an expensive martial arts program to help their daughters be more physically assertive and accomplished. On the other hand...get real! Once a week of a little kung fu is not going to change an 11 yr old who weighs twice what she should. The line between being a parent and caring for your child's health and creating poor self-esteem is, I agree, a fine one. But, I'm sorry, allowing your child to be 75lbs overweight at age 11 and basically NON FUNCTIONAL is just wrong. This little girl could never run across the playground when the bell rang. She could never run and play with a group of kids. I can guarantee her parents would find it unacceptable to prevent their daughter from learning to read or write, but somehow it has become ok to raise your child so that they cannot function physically. Being a parent is really hard and there are a million things to do well. I hate to find myself criticizing people's parenting. But there I was, truly angry at the physical condition of these kids. I watched the little brother of this girl eat an entire box of Wheat Thins during Kung Fu class!!! Wheat Thins contain soybean oil, flour and 3 types of sugar along with some other crap. If you are reading this and you don't know me well, please be assured my kids eat far from perfectly. For one thing, 50% of their time they live in a household where white bread, noodles and dessert are the staple foods. Just so you know I get much more worried when I see a kid who is all bones and titchy and weedy, than I do when I see a slightly heavy kid. My vision of the perfect human body runs more along the lines of farmer than triathlete. I am not in the business of being a parenting food zealot. BUT THESE KIDS ARE HUGELY FAT AND NON FUNCTIONAL. OK-so, in my mind, while this girl was gasping and wheezing and crying, I thought of all the ways I could make a difference: I could offer the owners of the kung fu studio a free nutrition talk for parents of their students. I could walk straight up to the Mom and say "Hey, I work with people to increase their fitness and health. I think I could make a difference for your daughter. Come and see me. No charge." I guess I just completely chickened out with the second option. How do you offer that kind of help and support without someone potentially feeling extremely insulted and offended? She didn't ask me for help and basically, it isn't any business of mine how her family cares for itself. As for offering to do some free nutrition work through the kung fu studio, I changed my mind about that when I saw the class assistant for my son's class... a huge young man. This young man was extremely kind and wonderful with the students and I'm sure he could keep me safe in a dark alley, but as a wellness role model? I was just stumped. I felt very disempowered. On the one hand people's lives are private and their health is their own business and I believe that strongly. However, that also feels like turning my back on a situation right here, in my own city, in my kids' own kung fu studio. I will be spending the next few days thinking about this and trying to either think of an appropriate response or make peace with doing nothing. Let's end with some Paleo kid snacks: carrot sticks with salt, celery sticks with a little nutbutter mixed with raw honey, nuts, grapes, apple slices, sunflower seeds, cubes of meat, pre-cooked turkey bacon, plantain chips, coconut/gelatin "jello" squares, home made trail mix, pieces of Lara Bar.

2 comments:

  1. Jen, I know exactly how you feel. I do some volunteering at an elementary school and I see parents pick up their overweight (fat) kids and hand them a 44 oz Circle K cup of soda. These are 1st graders! I recently went on a trip with a friend of mine who at one time was over 400 lbs, now he's still over 300. He grew up on Ramen noodles, packaged mac and cheese, frozen fish sticks and chicken nuggets. and I'm sure there was no actual fish or chicken in those! I've seen that in my own family and it's frustrating. I don't want to be constantly nagging and annoy everyone in my family but really I wish I could just educate them somehow.

    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    I can relate to that. I am a little hypersensitive to it because i have always been a little chubby, always, even when i was a kid and it makes me wonder how i got that way. My parents are both very critical of fat people. Still I have learned alot since then and feel like i have much better tools at this point for both me and Pancho.
    If I were you, and could get my gumption up, I would go ahead and say something to the mom of this girl. She may get mad and not ever talk to you again but it will probably plant a seed in her head that there is something better for her child. Sometimes that is all it takes. It never would have occured to me that eating the diet that I was eating, "pretty healthy" by americna standards could be so off and it took me a long time to come around but I did and I never would have if you had said nothing.
    And secondly, I do wonder why so many people think it is okay to be fat and not functional and think that it is no one else's business. I am in the hospital at least 2 days a week now and so many people in there are huge and have a total victim mentality. It is not your own business anymore when I have to pay for your bad choices, monetarily or any other way. If the goverment food pyramid said that we should eat 8-10 servings or dark leafy greens every week they would be as cheap as bread is now!
    That's all...

    ReplyDelete